Avocado & Caramelized Pineapple
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon hot chili powder
- 1 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch thick slices
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large yellow or red sweet pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 firm, ripe avocados, halved, seeded, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup blackberries, rinsed and drained
- 2 hearts of romaine lettuce, chopped (about 2 cups)
Adapted from bhg.com
In a small bowl combine sugar and chili powder. Sprinkle sugar mixture evenly over pineapple slices. In a 12-inch nonstick skillet cook pineapple slices over medium-high heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Remove from heat. Cool 10 minutes. Cut pineapple slices into 1-inch pieces.
In a large bowl whisk together olive oil, white wine vinegar, orange juice, cilantro, garlic, salt, and pepper.
Add pineapple, onion, sweet pepper, avocados, and blackberries. Toss gently to combine. Add lettuce. Toss gently until mixture is just coated.