Chicken In Pastry Shells
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 2 cans chicken broth - (10 1/2 oz ea)
- 4 medium carrots sliced 1/2" thick
- 1 medium fresh broccoli head broken florets
- 8 ounces canned sliced mushrooms
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken (saute chicken in butter to brown)
- 8 Pepperidge Farm Pastry Shells cooked according
- to package directions
Place onions and 1 can chicken broth in large pot. Over medium heat, bring to slow boil and cook 10 minutes. Add carrots and broccoli, cook for 20 minutes. Stir in mushrooms, remove from heat and let stand until needed.
In heavy saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute (do not brown). Add remaining can of chicken broth, tarragon, and sherry. Cook over medium heat, stirring until mixture thickens, 7 to 10 minutes. Add cream, salt, and pepper, blend well. Set aside.
Drain cooked vegetables and place in greased 1 1/2 quart casserole. Add chicken cubes and sauce; mix thoroughly. Cook mixture covered, in 350 degree oven for 40 minutes. Remove casserole from oven and spoon mixture into and around pastry shells.
This recipe yields 8 servings.