Chez Panisse's Potatoes and Onions Roasted with Vinager and Thyme
- 6 to 8 cippolini or pearl onions, peeled and trimmed, root left intact to hold it together
- 12 to 16 fingerling potatoes, scrubbed and rinsed
- 3 to 6 garlic cloves, peeled, the number depends on their size and if they are large cut them in half
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 or so sprigs of thyme
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
Adapted from food52.com
Heat the oven to 325 F. In a mixing bowl toss the potatoes, garlic and onions with the softened butter making sure to give them all a good coating. Season them with salt and pepper.
Place them into a oven proof gratin dish and top them with the thyme and bay leaves. Add the balsamic and cover tightly with foil,
Bake the potatoes for 2 hours. Every thirty minutes remove the foil, stir to coat, then put the foil back on and continue to bake until the everything is dark and mysterious from the balsamic glaze. Serve.