Low Carb Beefed-Up Meatloaf
- Tomato Topping:
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup sugar substitute (recommended: Splenda)
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar or water
- 2 pounds ground chuck (may use meat loaf mix with ground pork)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced small
- 1/4 cup roasted or fresh red bell peppers, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 pound prosciutto, or any type of ham, thinly sliced
- 1/4 pound provolone cheese, sliced
- Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/low-carb-beefed-up-meat-loaf-recipe.html?oc=linkback
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a small bowl, mix together the tomato topping ingredients. Set aside. You may add a few drops of water to thin to a ketchup consistency.
In a large bowl, mix together the beef, eggs, Parmesan, vegetables, herbs, and seasonings.
Working on a waxed paper lined sheet pan or counter, form meatloaf mix into a 10 by 8-inch flat rectangle on the waxed paper. Place a layer of prosciutto slices on top, followed by a layer of provolone slices. Roll up the stuffed meatloaf mix like a burrito and seal the edges all around by pinching the meat.
Place the roll, seam side down, into a 5 by 9-inch loaf pan. Spread a heavy coat of the tomato topping to completely cover the top of the meatloaf. Place in oven and bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the temperature on a meat thermometer registers 165 degrees F. Drain fat and let rest at least 10 minutes before slicing.
Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/low-carb-beefed-up-meat-loaf-recipe.html?oc=linkback