Assam Pedas Fish (Sour and Spicy Fish)
- Spice Paste:
- 1 spanish mackarel, pomfret or any firm white fleshed fish (1/2 pound to 1 pound)
- 8 small okras (ladies fingers)
- 1 medium tomato (cut into wedges)
- 1 teaspoon of fish curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon tumeric powder
- 2 sprigs of daun kesum (or you can use Vietnamese coriander)
- 4 tablespoons of cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon of white sugar (you may need more depending on taste)
- Salt to taste
- 3 clove garlic
- 1 stalk of lemon grass (white part only)
- 4 shallots
- 1/2 " fresh ginger, sliced
- 2 fresh red chillies, de-seeded
- 6 dried chillies (more if you like it spicy)
- 1/2 tablespoon of belacan (prawn paste)
- For the Tamarind Juice:
- 1 1/4 cup of water
- Tamarind pulp (size of a small lime)
Pound the spice paste with mortar and pestle or grind them in a food processor. Set aside.
Soak the tamarind pulp in warm water for 15 minutes. Squeeze the tamarind pulp constantly to extract the flavor intto the water. Drain the pulp and save the tamarind juice.
Heat oil and fry the spice paste for 2 minutes or until fragrant.
Add the tamarind juice, fish curry powder/turmeric powder and bring to boil.
Add the tomato wedges and okras and bring to boil.
Add the fish, salt, and palm sugar/sugar.
Simmer on low heat for 5 minutes or until the fish is cooked. Serve hot with white rice.