Chicken And Spinach Cakes
- 1/4 cup olive oil plus
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 pound shallots thinly sliced
- 1/4 pound bacon coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 package frozen chopped spinach - (10 oz) thawed, and squeezed dry
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 1/3 cups fresh bread crumbs divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
In a large saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add the sliced shallots and cook over moderate heat until light golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Set aside.
Place bacon in food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Transfer bacon to a large bowl. Add chicken (in 2 batches) to the food processor and pulse until minced. Add to the bowl with the bacon. Next add thawed spinach, heavy cream, 1/3 cup bread crumbs, cooked shallots, 1 teaspoon black pepper, salt and cayenne. Mix to thoroughly blend the ingredients. Form 1/4 cup of mixture into little round cakes. (May freeze at this point for future use.)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a shallow bowl, mix 1 cup bread crumbs with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Coat the cakes with the bread crumbs.
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over moderately-high heat. Add 8 of the cakes and fry, turning once until browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining chicken cakes. Bake the cakes for about 10 to 12 minutes until firm and done. Serve warm.
This recipe yields 12 servings.