Scalloped Potatoes with Caramelized Onions
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 4 crushed garlic cloves
- 3 peppercorns
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large Spanish or yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 large Yukon Gold potatoes (2 to 3 pounds), peeled
- 1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
Adapted from food52.com
In saucepan, bring cream, garlic, peppercorns, thyme, and salt to just under boil; reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat; set aside.
Heat your oven to 300° F.
Meanwhile, in skillet, heat oil over medium-low heat and cook onion, stirring often, until light brown, about 45 minutes. Slice potatoes as thinly as possible (using a mandoline if available).
Layer 1/4 of the potatoes in greased about 8 x 12-inch glass baking or casserole dish; top with 1/3 of the onion and 1/4 of the cheese. Repeat twice. Top with remaining potatoes. Strain cream mixture over potatoes, shaking casserole to distribute evenly. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Bake in 300° F oven on a baking sheet (to catch drips) until tender and a knife inserted into the dish pierces potatoes easily, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. (Make-ahead: Let cool, then cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat, tented with tin foil, in 375° F oven for 30 minutes.)
Tip: For a lighter version, steep garlic, peppercorns, thyme, and salt in 2 cups of (500 mL) milk. Then make béchamel sauce: In saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-low heat. Add 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Whisk in strained milk mixture, and simmer everything for 5 minutes until slightly thickened. Pour over potatoes.
You'll also love
- Penne with Shrimp and Herbed Cream... 4.6/5 (15 Votes)
- Lemon and Pineapple 7-UP Salad 4.6/5 (15 Votes)
- Strawberry Nutella Hand Pies 4.6/5 (15 Votes)
- Buffalo Joes with Blue Cheese and... 4.6/5 (15 Votes)
- Pan-Seared Scallops with Bacon and... 4.6/5 (15 Votes)
- BBQ POTATOES 4.6/5 (15 Votes)
- GUINNESS, RED ONION & CHEDDAR SOUP 4.6/5 (15 Votes)
- Golden Onion Rice 4.6/5 (15 Votes)