Bratwurst in Rye Pastry With Malted Mustard
These delicious German-style rye pigs in blankets are such a fun twist on a classic pig in a blanket recipe. Make them as finger foods for a party or any get together, or even as a main dish for dinner or lunch. Pair with various appetizers on any holiday spread or Super Bowl munchie table, or pair with a lightly tossed side salad for a hearty meal.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup rye flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 10 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons very cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons ice water, plus more as needed
- 6 pre-cooked bratwursts
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground coriander seed
- 4 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup whole grain mustard
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup golden malt extract syrup
- 2 tablespoons dry malt extract powder
Preparation time 90mins
Cooking time 120mins
Adapted from wsj.com
In a large bowl, whisk together flours, salt and sugar. Add butter and, working quickly, use your hands or a pastry blender to cut butter into flour until pea-size clumps form.
In a small bowl, beat egg and yolk with 3 tablespoons ice water. Slowly pour into flour mixture, then use your hands to incorporate until dough just starts to come together. If dough is dry, add more ice water, 1 to 2 teaspoons at a time, until dough adheres. Wrap dough in plastic and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 425°F. Roll out chilled dough to form a rectangle about 12-inches long, 18-inches wide and ⅛ to ¼-inch thick. Cut into strips 12-inches long and 1-inch wide. Take one dough strip and wind it around a cooked bratwurst. Repeat with remaining bratwurst.
In a small bowl, beat egg with water. Make rye salt: Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Brush dough around each bratwurst with egg wash, then sprinkle with rye salt.
Place dough-wrapped bratwursts on a baking sheet and cook until pastry is golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes. Meanwhile, make malted mustard: In a bowl, whisk ingredients together until smooth. Serve baked bratwursts with mustard.
You'll also love
- Slow Cooker Chipotle Beef and... 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Paleo Aspargus Bacon Bone Broth... 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Grilled Whole Fish with Chile &... 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Cabbage, Cucumber & Fennel Salad... 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Easy Country Pork Pâté with... 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- One-Bite Baked Brie with... 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Sausage All-Stars 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Sopa de Fubà (Collard Greens,... 4.4/5 (5 Votes)