- 1/3 cup very cold milk
- 3/4 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Kosher salt
Adapted from leitesculinaria.com
1. Combine the vegetable and olive oils.
2. Combine the milk, lemon juice, garlic, and pepper in a 2 cup glass measuring cup. Using a handheld blender (or a blender), buzz on high for 30 seconds until frothy.
3. With the motor running on high, slowly pour in the oil a few drops at a time, and gradually increase this to a fine thread, moving the blender up and down, until the mixture thickens lusciously and resembles a soft mayonnaise. You may need more or less oil. Season with kosher salt to taste. Mayonnaise will last up to 1 week in the fridge.
Cilantro and Ginger Milk Mayonnaise - Add 1 loosely packed cup of well-dried fresh cilantro leaves and a 1 1/2 inch peeled and grated thumb of ginger to the cup along with the milk, 1 3/4 tsp of lemon juice, and the pepper. Omit the garlic. Whir in the oil as directed above. Stir in 1 scallion cut into thin slices on the diagonal.
Anchovy Milk Mayonnaise - Add 6 anchovy fillets (generous 1 TBS) packed in oil to the cup along with the milk, lemon juice, garlic, and pepper. Whir in the oil as directed above. Omit the salt.
Curry Milk Mayonnaise - Add 2 tsp of your favorite curry powder to the cup along with the milk, lemon juice, garlic, and pepper. Whir in the oil as directed above. Before using, let sit in the fridge for an hour or so.