Buttermilk Fried Chicken
- 1 (2-1/2-3-lb.) whole chicken, cut into 10 pieces
- 1 qt. whole buttermilk
- 1/4 cup chile hot sauce (like Cholula)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup fine yellow cornmeal
- 1-1/2 tbsp. black pep
- 1-1/2 tbsp. paprika
- 1 tbsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp. kosher salt, plus more for serving
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 3/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Canola oil, for frying
1. Place chicken pieces, buttermilk and hot sauce in a large resealable bag or container; seal and refrigerate at least 24 hours or up to 48 hours.
2. Stir together all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, cornmeal, black pepper, paprika, turmeric, salt, onion powder, garlic powder and cayenne pepper in a large bowl until combined.
3. Remove chicken from buttermilk mixture, drain in a colander, turning occasionally, 10 minutes. Discard buttermilk mixture.
4. Working in batches, add chicken to flour mixture, turning to coat. Shake off any excess, and transfer chicken to 2 large rimmed baking sheets. Let stand 10 minutes.
5. Pour oil to a depth of 4 inches in a large Dutch oven; heat over medium high until a deep-fry thermometer registers 325 degrees. Working in batches, add chicken to hot oil, fry until a meat thermometer inserted in thickest portion of chicken registers 165 degrees, about 9 minutes. Transfer fried chicken to a wire rack set over a baking sheet. Let rest 10 minutes. Sprinkle with additional salt to taste.
You'll also love
- Hooter's Buffalo Chicken Wings 0/5 (0 Votes)