Paella Negra aka Arròs negre is a Valencian and Catalan dish made with squid and rice, somewhat similar to seafood paella.
- 5 vine ripened tomatoes, scored
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 pound squid, cleaned and cut into small squares
- 12 pieces prawns, peeled and deveined
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 ounce squid ink, available from delicatessens
- 6 3/4 ounces dry white wine
- 14 ounces bomba rice
- 4 1/2 cups hot fish stock
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 55mins
Blanch the tomatoes in a saucepan of boiling water until the skin starts to blister, around 30 seconds, then place in a bowl of iced water to refresh. Peel and dice the tomatoes, then set aside.
Heat 50 ml of the olive oil in a 30-34 cm paella pan over high heat. Add the squid and the prawns and cook for about a minute on each side, making sure to season. Remove and set aside.
Add the rest of the olive oil along with the onion and the garlic. Cook over low heat until translucent, around 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook another 5 minutes over low heat. Now, add the white wine and continue to cook for another 15 minutes until the mixture thickens.
Increase the heat to medium and add the rice. Cook the rice for about 1 to 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
Now, pour in the hot stock and mix well. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium immediately and add the squid on top of the rice (save a few pieces for topping).
Cook the rice for 10 minutes. The rice should have now expanded a little so reduce the heat back to low if the flame doesn’t cover the base of the pan. Move the pan around during cooking to allow the paella to cook evenly for 10 minutes.
Before removing from the stove, add the prawns and the some of the saved squid and cook on high for about 1 minute to help form a crust on the bottom of the pan. Remove from the heat and cover with foil for 10 minutes.
Serve warm and enjoy!
You'll also love
- Hunter's Beef Crescent Pie 3.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Bread Machine Whole Wheat... 3.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Cornish Hens - NuWave 3.7/5 (21 Votes)
- Red Lobster Alfredo Sauce 3.6/5 (60 Votes)
- Mango Crepe Samurai 3.4/5 (32 Votes)
- Hot Dog Charlies Sauce for Hot Dogs 3.7/5 (52 Votes)
- Potatoes AuGratin --Bonefish... 3.7/5 (150 Votes)
- Semolina's Shrimp Or Chicken Roban 3.9/5 (15 Votes)