Vegetarian 17 Bean Soup
- 1 lb. bag 17 Bean & Barley Mix (Trader Joe's) Or 1 lb. dried mixed beans
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 4 c. water or mix water and tomato juice
- 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 bell pepper (any color)
- 3-4 carrots
- 3 stalks celery
- 1 chopped chili - Serrano or jalapeno (optional)
- 1 onion
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp. basil
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 90mins
Adapted from garden grazer.com
Quick soak dried beans: cover beans with triple their volume of water in a stockpot.
Bring to a boil, lower heat to medium, and cook uncovered for 2 minutes. Remove stockpot from heat and let beans soak for 1 hour.
Meanwhile, dice bell pepper, celery,chili and onion, chop carrots, and mince garlic.
After 1 hour, rinse and drain beans in a colander.
Saute onion,celery, chili, pepper, carrots, and garlic with Italian seasoning and salt in a large stockpot for about 7-8 minutes.
Pour broth, 4 cups water, beans, diced tomatoes (with juice), basil, and oregano in stockpot. Heat over med-high and bring to a light boil.
Reduce heat to med-low and simmer covered for about 1 hour or until desired tenderness.
Salt/pepper to taste.