- 8 ounces penne or mostaccioli, uncooked
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 (27 1/2 oz.) jar spaghetti, your favorite
- 1 (14 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 (4 oz.) can chopped green chilies, drained
- 1/2 (.75 oz.) package reduced sodium taco seasoning mix (if available or use regular
- 1/2 cup low fat Monterey Jack cheese (2 oz.)
Cook pasta according to package directions and drain.
In a skillet, brown your beef and drain well, blotting with paper towels to pick up the extra grease. Meanwhile, in large saucepan over medium heat, heat oil; add onion and red pepper.
Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until tender. Add cooked beef to onion/pepper mixture, mixing well.
Add remaining ingredients except cheese; heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.
Toss hot pasta and one-half sauce. Spoon remaining sauce over top; sprinkle with cheese.
Per Serving: 326 Calories; 14g Fat; 14g Protein; 58g Carbohydrate; 8g Dietary Fiber; 3mg Cholesterol; 994mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 1/2 Grain (Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat.