Italian Wedding Soup
- 1/2 pound ground beef, extra lean
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Romano cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 5 3/4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups kale, thinly sliced
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 1/3 cup carrot, finely chopped
In a medium bowl, combine bread crumbs, meat, egg, cheese, basil and onion
powder, shape into 3/4 inch balls.
In a large saucepan, heat broth to boiling, stir in kale, orzo, carrot and meatballs. Return to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Cook at a slow boil for 10 minutes or until pasta is al dente. Stir frequently to prevent sticking.
Per serving: 280 Calories; 8g Fat; 24g Protein; 28g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 58mg Cholesterol; 578mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain (Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 1 Fat.
SERVING SUGGESTIONS: I like bread with soup so either bake some in your breadmaker or buy a nice loaf of crusty bread to go with this. Add a salad if you want, but you've got tons of green stuff going on this hearty soup.