Prep: 30 mins
Total: 2 hrs 15 mins
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate pieces, melted and cooled
- 1 cup finely chopped hazelnuts (filberts)
- 1 tablespoon finely shredded orange peel
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking powder, and salt; beat until combined, scraping side of bowl occasionally. Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour.
2. Divide dough in half; place each half in a bowl. Into half of the dough, stir the melted chocolate and 1/2 cup of the nuts. Into the other half of the dough, stir the orange peel and the remaining 1/2 cup nuts.
3. Divide each half of the dough into 3 portions. With lightly floured hands, shape each dough portion into a rope about 14 inches long. Place a rope of each color side by side on an ungreased cookie sheet. Twist ropes around each other several times. Flatten slightly to a 2 inch width. Repeat with the other ropes to make 3 twists total, placing twists about 4 inches apart on the cookie sheet.
4. Bake about 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheet about 1 hour or until completely cool.
5. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Transfer baked twists to a cutting board. Cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Place slices on the same cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes. Turn slices over; bake for 10 to 15 minutes more or until dry and crisp. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.