Crock Bean Soup with Kale
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 bunch kale, trimmed and sliced (or use 2 cups frozen greens)
- 1 pound cannellini beans, soaked overnight (you can also use white beans)
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth (make your own or buy canned)
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
In a skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrot and garlic. Cook until onions are translucent. Add kale and cook till wilted, about 3 minutes. In a crock pot, place soaked, drained beans; add crushed red pepper flakes and the contents of the skillet; cover with broth (add a little water if necessary, but crockpot should be 3/4 full).
Cook on high for 8 hours, or until beans are tender. Once beans are tender, add the tomato sauce and salt and pepper to taste.
Per Serving: 349 Calories; 8g Fat; 19g Protein; 54g Carbohydrate; 13g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 85mg Sodium. Exchanges: 3 Grain (Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 1 1/2 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat.