Fire Roasted Tomato Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) Muir Glen® organic fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 3/4 cups Progresso® reduced-sodium chicken broth (from 32-oz carton) or 1 can (14 oz) vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves, cilantro leaves or Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
Adapted from bettycrocker.com
In 3-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until onion is crisp-tender.
Stir in tomatoes, broth, 1 tablespoon of the basil, the sugar and pepper flakes. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat; pour mixture into large heatproof bowl; cool slightly, about 15 minutes.
In blender, place half of the mixture. Cover; blend until pureed. Return to saucepan. Repeat with remaining mixture. Heat over medium heat until hot. Remove from heat. Stir in cream and remaining 1 tablespoon basil.