Savory Ham And Sweet Potato Purses
- OPTIONAL GARNISH:
- 1 large sweet potato or yam peeled, chunked
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 large garlic clove peeled, diced
- 2 shallots peeled, diced
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped red pepper
- 1 small tomato chopped, seeded, and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry dough thawed
- 6 slices Jones Dairy Farm ham
- 1/2 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese with
- jalapeño peppers
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- Diced red, orange, and yellow peppers
- Minced parsley
In a saucepan, cover sweet potatoes with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cook until tender (about 15 minutes). Drain, transfer to a mixing bowl, and mash coarsely.
Heat oil in saute pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, shallots, and basil and saute for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and red pepper and cook for about 7 minutes or until mushroom liquid has evaporated. Add sauteed vegetables to the sweet potatoes along with the tomato, celery salt, and lemon juice, and combine gently. (Filling may be prepared to this point and covered and refrigerated overnight. Remove from refrigerator and allow to warm slightly before proceeding.)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lay sheet of pastry dough on floured surface and cut into thirds lengthwise, then cut each third in half crosswise. Roll into six 6-inch squares. Center one slice of ham on each of six squares. Spoon 1/6 of filling onto each square, top with a generous tablespoon of cheese, then pull up the corners of each square, twisting to secure. Flare out corners to resemble a purse.
Brush egg wash over purses and place on ungreased baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes until golden.
Serve immediately garnished with pepper "jewels" and parsley.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Sweet Potato Casserole Ruth Chris'... 4.4/5 (98 Votes)
- Florence Mama's Candied Yams 4.5/5 (91 Votes)
- Peach Brandy Chicken 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Shrimp Delight 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chipotle Shrimp, Black Bean-Quinoa... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Grilled Leeks, Sweet Peppers And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Smoked Delicata Squash With Apple... 0/5 (0 Votes)