Strawberry Pie (low sugar)
- 1 Pie Crust (see recipe: The Perfect Pie Crust)
- 2 lbs of strawberries (about 4 1/2 cups quartered)
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of corn starch
- fresh whipped cream (optional)
Adapted from oldworldgardenfarms.com
1. Bake your pie crust until gold brown. Let cool
2. Wash, pat dry, hull and quarter the strawberries.
3. Place 1 cup of strawberries in a small sauce pan. Crush them with a potato masher until chunky. Don’t smash them completely, as you don’t want pure liquid.
4. Add 1/4 cup water to the saucepan and bring to a boil.
4. In a separate bowl, combine water and cornstarch. Stir until cornstarch is thoroughly dissolved. This is an extremely important step to allow the gel to set.
5. Add cornstarch mixture and sugar to the boiling strawberries mixture – reduce to medium heat and stir continuously until the sugar dissolves the mixture becomes thickened. Approximately 3 minutes.
6. Transfer the filling to a medium size mixing bowl and let cool to room temperature.
7. Once the filling has completely cooled, add the remaining strawberries to the mixture. Stir well to coat the strawberries with the gel mixture. Add to your pie crust.
8. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow the gel to set.
9. Add whipped topping if desired.