Low Fat Dark Chocolate Muffins
- 1 c. old fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
- 1 c. non-fat milk
- 1 c. whole wheat flour
- 2/3 c. Splenda brown sugar or 1/2 c real brown sugar
- 2/3 c. unsweetened applesauce
- 2 egg whites or 1 real egg
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 4-6 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 c. dark chocolate chips
Adapted from sparkpeople.com
Soak the oats in milk for about one hour.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and then spray the muffin pan with cooking spray.
Combine the oat mixture with the applesauce and egg whites, and mix until combined. In a separate bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together. Add the wet ingredients to the dry mix until just combined. Add the chocolate chips. Do not over-mix of the muffins will be tough. Spoon the mixture into the muffin pan, forming a total of 12 muffins.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until done. Remove from pan and enjoy.