Pickled Vegetables For Composed Salad
- PICKLING LIQUID:
- 1 cup haricots verts trimmed
- 1 cup pearl onions peeled
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1 cup quartered peeled boiled medium-sized beets
- 1 pound micro or baby greens (such as cress, beet or pea greens)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 4 ounces soft goat cheese crumbled
- 1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon whole coriander
- 2 teaspoons white peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 whole garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
Separately blanch and shock the haricots verts, pearl onions, and cauliflower. Boil beets until fork tender. Layer the vegetables in a 1-quart pickling jar.
Bring pickling liquid to a boil and reserve 1/2 cup for vinaigrette, pouring the rest over the blanched vegetables. Let sit overnight or at least 4 hours.
Make vinaigrette with 1/2 cup pickling liquid and olive oil. Toss with greens. Arrange vegetables and crumble with goat cheese.
This recipe yields 10 to 12 servings.