Pappasito's Frijoles a la Charra
- 3/4 lb. dried pinto beans
- 3 qts. water, divided
- 3/8 lb. bacon, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1/4 c. plus 1 1/2 tsp. finely chopped garlic
- 3-4 T. chopped cilantro, divided
- 1/2 c. coarsely chopped white onion
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 3/4 T. salt
- 1 c. chopped Roma tomatoes
Soak beans in 2 quarts of water for 8 hours. Drain and set aside. In a 1-gallon heavy pot, cook bacon until well done. Do not overcook or it will look raw in finished product.
Add garlic, half of cilantro and onions to hot bacon and cook until onion is transparent, about 10 minutes. Add beans, cumin and chili powder. Stir and add remaining 1 qt. water. Turn heat to medium-low. Stir in . Cook beans slowly until fork tender, about 2 hours. Stir occasionally to avoid burning the bottom.
Stir in tomatoes and remaining cilantro and heat through.