Chicken Tortilla Soup
- seasonings to taste:
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 1 clove garlic (diced)
- 1 jalapeno (diced)
- 4-5 stalks of celery (chopped)
- 2-3 carrots (chopped)
- 3 small roma tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 red bell peppper (diced)
- 1/4 green bell pepper (diced)
- 10 corn tortillas chopped in about 1 in. pieces
- shredded breast meat from rotisserie chicken
- 6-8 c chicken stock
- cumin, oregano, red pepper, chili powder, black pepper, garlic powder
- Shredded monterey jack cheese to top
- Avacado slices
- 2-4 corn tortillas for toasting
Spray large soup pot with Pam. Saute onions, garlic, and jalapeno until softened.
Add celery, carrots, and totillas.
When starting to combine well add bell peppers and saute a few minutes longer.
Then add tomatoes and incorporate. Add seasonings now. Next gradually add chicken stock. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer with lid slightly on/off for 45 minutes to an hour.
Taste test to make sure veggies are cooked but still a bit crunchy.
Add chicken and chopped cilantro also a bit of black pepper.
Mix well until chicken is warm.
Saute extra tortillas in Pam, to toast.
Top soup with cheese and granish with totillas and avacado.