Servings: 5 servings
- 1 1/2 cans coconut milk - (abt 3 cups)
- 6 chicken thighs/legs or 1 1/2 to 2 lbs
- boneless chicken breast or beef cut 1 1/2" to 2"
- 2 tablespoons masaman curry paste - (to 2 1/2 tbspns)
- 4 small red potatoes - (to 5) cut into fourths
- 2 small onions cut into fourths
- 1/2 cup roasted unsalted peanuts
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce - (to 3 tbspns)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lime juice - (to 2 tspns)
- 1/4 cup vegetable or peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons fried sliced shallots - (to 4 tbspns) fried red onion in
- a jar
- OPTIONAL INGREDIENTS:
Heat oil in a large saucepan or wok. Add the chicken or beef and cook until brown on the outside. Remove from heat and place on paper towel. Put the meat in a large pot and add coconut milk. Bring to a boil. Then lower heat, cover, and let simmer until the meat is tender. Skim top 1 to 1 1/2 cups of liquid from large pot and place into small frying pan. Mix in curry paste and stir until fat from coconut milk rises to the top. Then pour curry paste mixture into pot with meat mixture. Add fish sauce, sugar, onions, potatoes, peanuts, and lime juice. Cover and cook on low heat for 15 to 20 minutes. Taste/add fish sauce, sugar, or lime juice as needed. Remove from heat and sprinkle with fried sliced shallots. Serve over plain boiled rice. This is best when made the night before. This recipe yields 5 to 6 servings.