Sugar-Free Lemon Curd
- 4 Tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice, preferably fresh
- 1 cup sugar equivalent artificial sweetener, preferably liquid (powdered may have off-flavors)
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 small pinch salt
1) Cut butter up into pieces (around 8 to 10 pieces is good). Put the butter into the freezer.
2) Blend the rest of the ingredients together, with either a stick blender or standing blender.
3) Heat slowly in small saucepan or double boiler. Whisk or stir frequently. When curd begins to thicken to the point where it coats the spoon, or leaves a trail when the bottom of the pan is scraped with a spatula, or is 170 F, remove from heat (don't let it get to boiling).
4) Immediately whisk or stir in butter. Keep stirring until butter is melted and incorporated.
5) Taste. If you think it's too "sharp," try adding another Tablespoon or two of butter.
6) Put in airtight container. A piece of plastic wrap on the surface will keep a "skin" from forming. Cool completely before using (it will thicken a bit more).
It can keep in refrigerator up to one week.
Each Tablespoon of lemon curd has a little less than half a gram of effective carbohydrate plus 1 gram protein, 3 grams fat, and 30 calories.