Spicy Roasted Eggplant Marinara
- 1 whole Eggplant, Diced Into 1" Pieces
- 1 whole Yellow Onion, Chopped Into 1" Wedges
- 6 cloves Garlic, Roughly Chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Crushed Red Pepper, Or Less To Taste
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1 can (14.5 Oz. Can) Diced Tomatoes
- 1 can (6 Oz. Can) Tomato Paste
- 1 cup Good Red Wine
- 1 teaspoon Dried Basil
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 16mins
Preheat oven to 450F. Toss chopped eggplant, garlic and onion with olive oil. Add crushed red pepper (add less than 1 tablespoon if you don’t like things super spicy), salt, and ground pepper and toss to coat. Pour into a baking dish lined with foil and roast for 30 minutes, stirring once halfway through cooking.
Mash roasted vegetables with a fork. Pour into a large saucepan and add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, basil and red wine. Stir and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Turn heat to medium-low, cover and let simmer for at least 30 minutes or up to a few hours. Serve over pasta. Serves 6-8.
This sauce would also be delicious with added spicy Italian sausage, ground turkey or beef, grilled prawns or meatballs!