Lasagne Bolognese With Spinach
- Bolognese Sauce:
- 1/4 Cup olive oil
- 3 ounces sliced pancetta, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 pounds ground beef chuck(not lean)
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- Ricotta filling:
- 2 (10 oz.) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 2 (15 oz.)containers whole-milk ricotta
- 4 large eggs, lightley beaten
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/2 tsp. grated nutmeg
- 3/4 cup whole milk, divided.
- For Assembling the Lasagne:
- 12 Barilla no- boil lasagne noodles (1 box)
- 1/2 grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- Equipment: a 13X9 inch baking pan (3 inches deep).
Heat oil in a 12 to 14 inch heavy skillet over heat until it shimmers
Cook Pancetta, onion, carrot, celery, and garllic, stirring occasionally until vegetables are golden and softened, 12 to 15 minutes.
Add beef and cook stirring occasionally and breaking up any lumps,
until the meat is no longer pink, 6 to 10 min. Stir in wine, milk, tomato paste,thyme, 1/4 tsp. salt,and 3/4 tsp. pepper. Simmer uncovered stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid has evaporated, but sauce is still moist, about 1 hour.
Put spinach in a kitchen towel (not terry) and twist to squeeze out as much moisture as possible.
Whisk together ricotta, eggs, parmesan, nutmeg, 1 1/4 teaspoons salt 1 teaspoon pepper. Transfer 1 1/2 cups ricotta mixture to another bowl and whisk in 1/4 cup milk: set aside. Whisk spinach into remaining filling and remaining 1/2 cup milk.
Assemble the Lasagna:
Preheat oven to 375 with rack in the middle of the oven.
Soak noodles in very warm water, until pliable, but not softened. About 3-5 min.
Place on kitchen towel not necessary to pat noodles dry.
Spread 1 1/2 cups sauce in baking pan and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon Parmesan.
Cover with three noodles, leaving space in between. Spread half of the spinach mixture on top and then 1 more cup of sauce,top with cheese and three more noodles. Repeat. Top with remaining bolognese sauce, 1 tablespoon cheese and remaining noodles.
Pour remaining ricotta mixture over top and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup parmesan.
Cover pan with parchment paper and foil and bake 50 minutes.
Remove foil and bake until top is browned in spots, about 15 minutes. Let stand 15 to 30 minutes before cutting.
NOTE: Sauce can be make up to 2 days ahead.
Lasagne can be made 1 day ahead and chilled. Reheat in 350 degree oven, loosly covered with foil.