Christmas Cookies - Pastini Di Natale
Yum! These Italian Christmas cookies otherwise known as Pastini Di Natale are my families favorite! Give them a try and you'll see why!
- 2 1/2 cups sifted flour
- Pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine (62.5 g)
- 1 egg yolk, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup milk (125 ml)
- 1 egg white
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup candied cherries (170 g)
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped (60 g)
Sift together flour, salt, baking powder and sugar. Mix in butter or margarine with fingers. Add egg yolk, almond extract and milk. Mix to a firm ball.
Turn onto a floured board and knead for about five minutes. Chill.
Roll out dough to a thickness of 1/4 inch (5 mm). Cut into desired shapes and place on an un-greased cookie tin.
Beat egg white with sugar until foamy. Brush on each cookie. Decorate with candied cherries and chopped almonds.
Bake in a 375°F (190°C) oven for about ten minutes.