Farmers' Market Tomato Salad
- 1 very small yellow onion, cut into paper-thin slices
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 to 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh oregano
- 1 1/2 Tbs. chopped fresh basil
- 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 English (hothouse) cucumber, peeled and cut
- crosswise into thin slices
- Handful of fresh basil leaves
- Handful of fresh cherry tomatoes
Adapted from williams-sonoma.com
Place the onion slices in a bowl and sprinkle with salt. Pour the milk over the onion and let stand for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, basil, olive oil, salt and pepper to form a vinaigrette. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
Arrange the tomato and cucumber slices on a plate. Drain the onion slices and pat dry with paper towels. Scatter the onions atop the tomatoes and cucumbers. Drizzle with the vinaigrette, top with the basil leaves and cherry tomatoes and serve.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma Seasonal Celebration Series, Summer, by Joanne Weir (Time-Life Books, 1997).