Medieval Chicken Sausage w/Saffron-Rose Apples
From 13th century Andalucia, a chicken sausage that uses nuts instead of fat for richness, complimented by saffron-rose apples to die for..
- Apple to serve on the side:
- 1 1/4 oz almonds
- 1 1/4 oz walnuts
- 2 T pine nuts
- 1/2 t caraway seeds
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 1/2 t black pepper
- 1 t salt
- 1/2 to 1 t lavender (crushed) or 1/2 t spikenard
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, chopped in big chunks
- 1 T honey
- 1 egg
- sausage casings
- oil for frying
- 1 large apple, peeled, cored and sliced into 12 slices
- 3 T sugar
- 1 or 2 drops camphor or 1 or 2 sprigs of mint
- pinch of saffron and coriander
- 1 drop Aftelier rose essence or 2 t rosewater
Put the nuts and spices into the food processor and chop till well ground (or to taste--- less if you want them chunkier)
add the meat, honey and egg and process till well ground.
Put the sausage in the casings as your machine requires or make into patties or rolls... the mixture will be very moist.
If you have made sausages, simmer them for 20 minutes then store till ready or fry in the oil. If you made paddies or sausage shapes, chill then fry.
*For the apples*
Put the apples and the sugar in a pan with the saffron in about a cup of water and cook till tender. Then add the camphor or mint and rose. Bathe the apples in the flavored syrup and serve warm or room temperature.
You'll also love
- Ina Garten's Carrot Cake 4.2/5 (5 Votes)
- Nut and Date Pie Crust (Paleo) 4.1/5 (7 Votes)
- Warm Spinach Salad with Bacon,... 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Meat Loaf (Turkey and Pork) 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Lemon Cloud Pie 4.3/5 (4 Votes)
- Southern Sausage Cake 3.8/5 (54 Votes)
- Kale Salad with Root Vegetables... 3.6/5 (54 Votes)
- Kielbasa, Peppers, Onions & Fried... 4.2/5 (52 Votes)
Review this recipe