Gooey Caramel-Chocolate Bars
Servings: 0 servings
Who doesn't love gooey chocolate and caramel all wrapped up in a quick-to-make bar cookie.
- 1 box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® chocolate fudge cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 bag (14 oz) caramels, unwrapped
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)
- 1/2 cup reserved cake mix
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
Heat oven to 350°F (or 325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Reserve 1/2 cup cake mix for topping. In large bowl, beat remaining cake mix, 1/2 cup butter and the eggs with electric mixer on medium speed until dough forms. Stir in chocolate chips. Spread in ungreased 13x9-inch pan. Bake 14 to 18 minutes or until set. 2. Meanwhile, in 2-quart saucepan, heat caramels, 1/4 cup butter and the milk over medium heat about 8 minutes, stirring frequently, until caramels are melted and mixture is smooth. 3. Spread caramel filling evenly over partially baked crust. In small bowl, mix reserved 1/2 cup cake mix, the oats and 3 tablespoons butter with fork until crumbly. Sprinkle over caramel filling. 4. Bake 18 to 22 minutes longer or until top is set. Cool completely, about 2 hours. Run knife around sides of pan to loosen bars. For bars, cut into 8 rows by 6 rows. High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): In step 1, bake 16 to 20 minutes.