If you like tomatoes, you'll love this tomato cobbler! The only thing I changed was adding a pinch of cinnamon... otherwise it's perfect as written!
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 large tomatoes (about 1 3/4 pounds), cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 teaspoon packed light brown sugar
- Kosher salt
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup milk, plus more for brushing
- 2 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
Preparation time 35mins
Cooking time 145mins
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Make the filling: Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and lightly golden, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, thyme and cayenne and cook 1 more minute. Add the chopped tomatoes, brown sugar and 1 1/4 teaspoons salt. Bring to a simmer and cook until the tomatoes just begin to soften, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, then gently stir in the cherry tomatoes and flour. Transfer to a 2-quart baking dish and dot with the remaining 1 tablespoon butter.
Make the topping: Whisk the flour, baking powder, granulated sugar, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and black pepper to taste in a medium bowl. Add the butter and use a pastry cutter or your fingers to rub the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse meal with pea-size pieces of butter. Add the milk, mustard and thyme and gently mix with a fork just until a sticky dough forms, being careful not to overwork the dough.
Drop balls of dough over the tomato filling and brush the dough with milk. Place the cobbler on a baking sheet and bake until golden and bubbling, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Let rest 15 minutes before serving.
You'll also love
- CITRUS SQUEEZE 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Crawfish Bread 4.4/5 (20 Votes)
- Squash & Shepherd's Pie 4.4/5 (20 Votes)
- Bow Tie Pasta with Sausage,... 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake Cookies 4.4/5 (20 Votes)
- Orzo salad with feta, peppers and... 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Potato lángos: Hungarian fried... 4.5/5 (12 Votes)
- Baked Doughnuts, from King Arthur... 4.4/5 (20 Votes)