Bake in middle of oven for 60–70 minutes. Wrap bottom of spring-form pan with foil, so if the butter leaks, it won’t drip and make smoke in the oven.
Test for doneness by jiggling the pan – done when center jiggles, but doesn’t wobble (across the whole cheesecake).
Remove from oven, and cool for at least 1 hour.
Tip: To avoid the crack down the middle of the cheesecake, cool slowly by turning off oven, leave the cheesecake in the oven until it all comes to room temperature (about 4–5 hours).
- For the crust:
- 2 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 TB sugar
- 3 8 oz. packages cream cheese
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- lemon rind
1. Combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter, press into buttered 9 inch spring form pan to form crust on bottom and sides.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Add condensed milk and beat well.
3. Add eggs, 1 at a time, mixing well after each addition.
4. Add vanilla, nutmeg and lemon rind to taste. Pour filling into crust.
4. Bake at 350F for 40 to 45 minutes or until set.
For this cheesecake I bought a can of cherry topping and just added whipped cream to the sides. The good thing about cheesecake is that you can top it anyway you like or leave it plain, it's still delicious!