Ham And Swiss In Puff Pastry
- 4 puff pastry squares - (5" by 5")
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese or 3-cheese mix (Swiss, Monterey Jack and Cheddar)
- 2/3 cup cooked ham coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh dillweed
- (or 1 tspn dried dillweed)
- 1 dash garlic powder
- 1 dash freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 egg yolk mixed with
- 2 tablespoons water for egg wash
Preheat oven to 400 to 425 degrees. If using frozen pastry puff, let pastry come to room temperature.
In small saucepan, cook onion in butter till tender but not browned. For filling, in a medium mixing bowl combine egg, cheese, ham, parsley, dillweed, garlic powder, and pepper. Stir in onion mixture; set aside.
Place 2 to 3 tablespoons of the filling just off center on each pastry square. Moisten edges of pastry with water; fold in half diagonally. Seal edges by pressing with finger or tines of a fork.
Place pastry on ungreased baking sheet. Coat with egg wash. Place in preheated oven and immediately drop temperature to 380 degrees and cook 20 to 25 minutes till nicely browned.
This recipe yields 4 servings.