Mushroom Lentil Ragu
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups lentils (green/brown or puy)
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced or diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 can (28oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1/4 cup water for water saute
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano or herbes de provence
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup full-bodied red wine
- 1 tablespoon corn or tapioca starch, or arrowroot powder
- mineral salt & cracked pepper to taste
- 16 oz. pasta of choice
- chopped parsley, to serve
Adapted from thesimpleveganista.blogspot.com
In a large dutch oven/pot, heat oil or water over medium heat, add onions and saute for 5 minutes, add garlic, carrots, mushrooms, red pepper flakes and oregano, saute for 4 minutes, or until mushrooms begin to soften.
Add tomatoes, lentils, vegetable broth and wine, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, until lentils are tender.
Combine starch with 3 tablespoons water, mix well, add to the ragu, stir and cook another 10-15 minutes. Add more water, broth or wine as needed. (Omit the addition of starch if using jarred pasta sauce, keep cooking lentils as needed until tender.)
Cook pasta according to package.
Serve ragu over pasta. Top with chopped parsley and a light dusting of Almond Parmesan.