Cheesy Sausage Calzones
The calzones can be assembled up to 2 hours ahead. Be sure the sausage filling is completely cooled before filling the dough. Cover the calzones and refrigerate until you're ready to bake them. Enjoy!
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian pork sausage (or use Jimmy Dean cooked turkey sausage "crumbles")
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can (10.2-ounces) Pillsbury® Grands!® refrigerated buttermilk biscuits (5 biscuits)
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded (2-ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups tomato pasta sauce, heated
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from pillsbury.com
Heat oven to 375°F. In 8-inch skillet, cook sausage, onion and bell pepper over medium heat 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until sausage is no longer pink; drain. Cool 10 minutes.
Separate dough into 5 biscuits. On ungreased large cookie sheet, press each biscuit into 6-inch round. Top half of each round with sausage mixture and cheese to within 1/2 inch of edge. Fold dough over filling; press edges firmly with fork to seal.
Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm calzones with warm pasta sauce for dipping.
1 Serving (1 Serving)Calories 360(Calories from Fat 170),Total Fat 19g(Saturated Fat 7g,Trans Fat 3g),Cholesterol 30mg;Sodium 1350mg;Total Carbohydrate 32g(Dietary Fiber 1g,Sugars 8g),Protein 15g;Percent Daily Value*:Exchanges:1 1/2 Starch;0 Fruit;1/2 Other Carbohydrate;0 Skim Milk;0 Low-Fat Milk;0 Milk;0 Vegetable;0 Very Lean Meat;0 Lean Meat;1 1/2 High-Fat Meat;1 1/2 Fat;Carbohydrate Choices:2;*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
To reduce the fat in each serving by about 6 grams, substitute turkey sausage for the Italian sausage and use Grands!® reduced-fat buttermilk biscuits instead of the regular ones.
The calzones can be assembled up to 2 hours ahead. Be sure the sausage filling is completely cooled before filling the dough. Cover the calzones and refrigerate until you're ready to bake them.
You'll also love
- Diabetic Banana Bread for Bread... 4.4/5 (21 Votes)
- Strawberry Vodka 4.4/5 (18 Votes)
- Bacon and Hash Brown Egg Bake 4.4/5 (18 Votes)
- Apple Brown Butter Tart 4.4/5 (18 Votes)
- Balsamic BBQ Sauce for Chicken,... 4.4/5 (19 Votes)
- Holiday Brunch Torte 4.2/5 (13 Votes)
- Healthy, Low-Calorie Chicken... 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Mini Ham & Cheese Calzones 4.5/5 (11 Votes)