Gingered Blueberry Shortcake
- 4 cups blueberries
- 3 TBS sugar
- 1 TBS fresh lime juice
- 2 cups flour
- 1 TBS baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 TBS chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 3 TBS minced crystallized ginger
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg white
- 1 TBS water
- 1 TBS turbinado sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 TBS powdered sugar
Adapted from myrecipes.com
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Combine first three ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook for 3 minutes or until berries begin to pop, stirring frequently. Set aside.
3. Place flour, baking powder, and salt in a food processor; pulse three times to combine. Add butter and ginger to processor; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal.
4. Place mixture in a large bowl. Add milk, stirring just until moist. Turn mixture out onto a lightly floured surface. Press mixture into a 7" circle; cut into 8 wedges. Place wedges 1" apart on a baking sheet.
5. Combine egg white and 1 TBS water in a small bowl. Lightly brush tops of wedges with egg white mixture. Sprinkle evenly with turbinado sugar. Bake at 400F for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
6. Place cream in a medium bowl. Beat with a mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Add powdered sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
7. Split shortcakes in half horizontally. Spoon 1/3 cup berry mixture over each bottom half. Top each with 1 1/2 TBS whipped cream. Cover with shortcake tops.
Makes 8 servings. Each serving = 5 Weight Watchers points.
You'll also love
- Baked Beans with Slab Bacon and... 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Honey BBQ Glazed Salmon 4.2/5 (27 Votes)
- Pineapple Power Juice 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Grilled Herbed Cornish Hens 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Teriyaki Pineapple Turkey Burgers 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Fluffy Strawberry Pie with Pretzel... 4.5/5 (18 Votes)
- Raspberry Curd Pavlova 4.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Citrus-Topped Double Blueberry... 4.6/5 (10 Votes)