Wild Rice with Bacon and Fennel
For this earthy salad, make sure to use wild rice, not a blend, to get a nice chewy texture.
- 1 1/3 cups uncooked wild rice
- 4 bacon slices
- 1 large fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, cut into thin wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh fennel fronds or flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
Preparation time 40mins
Cooking time 65mins
Adapted from southernliving.com
1. Cook wild rice according to package directions; drain.
2. Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 7 to 8 minutes or until crisp; drain on paper towels, reserving 1 Tbsp. drippings in skillet. Chop bacon.
3. Sauté fennel bulb and onion in hot drippings over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until softened. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add broth and next 3 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 8 minutes or until tender. Stir in rice and bacon; cook, stirring often, 3 minutes.
4. Transfer to a large serving bowl. Stir in fennel fronds and vinegar. Stir in walnuts just before serving.
Note: Use wild rice, not a blend, for the best texture.
You'll also love
- Butternut Squash Ravioli with... 4.3/5 (27 Votes)
- Honeysuckle-Watermelon Cocktails 4.5/5 (23 Votes)
- Grandma's German Potato Salad 4.5/5 (24 Votes)
- Cheesy Potato Casserole 4.5/5 (23 Votes)
- Pulled Pork - Pressure Cooker 4.5/5 (23 Votes)
- Santa Maria Style California BBQ... 4.5/5 (23 Votes)
- Pork Tenderloin-Honey Balsamic 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Creamy Potato Soup with Sour... 4.5/5 (19 Votes)