- 4 egg yolks, whole
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 16 ounces mascarpone cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemoncello
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 ounces lemon juice
- 2 lemon, zest
- 1/2 cup lemoncello
- 30 savoiardi (may need more depending on size of pan)
- 10 lemon drop candies (optional), ground
1. To make syrup:
Combine water and 1/2 cup sugar in small sauce pan and heat to simmer stirring occasionally until sugar is disolved. Remove from heat and let cool. Transfer to small baking dish, add 1/2 cup Lemoncello and 6 ounces lemon juice. Stir to mix.
2. To make filling:
Combine egg yolks and 2 TBS of sugar in bowl and using electric mixer with whisk attachment beat together for about 5 minutes or until mixture is a thick pale yellow. Add mascarpone chese and mix until smooth. Add the 2 TBS of Lemoncello and mix until combined. Whip the cream in bowl using whisk. As cream whips slowly add the 1/4 cup of sugar and then the vanilla and lemon zest. Whip until soft peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into the cheese mixture by hand using a spatula.
3. To assemble:
Dip each Savoiardi (lady finger) into the syrup mix for about 3 seconds. Line the bottom of 8x12 baking dish with a row of the savoiardi (about 15). Spread 1/2 of the cheese mixture over the lady fingers. Repeat the layer of dipped lady fingers and cheese mixture.
4. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit in fridge at least 2 hours or over night. When ready to serve remove from fridge . Place the ground lemon drops in fine strainer and dust the top (could substitute confectioner's sugar). Serve.