Cheesy Spinach-&-Artichoke Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
I like to bake the squash to keep the shape of the shell better. This is a great replacement for spinach- artichoke dip or as a meal in itself! I also used drained canned artichokes instead & chopped fine!
- 1 (2½ to 3 pound) spaghetti squash, cut in half lengthwise and seeds removed
- 3 tablespoons water, divided
- 1 (5-ounce) package baby spinach
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and chopped
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Crushed red pepper & chopped fresh basil for garnish
Place squash cut-side down in a microwave-safe dish; add 2 tablespoons water. Microwave, uncovered, on High until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. (Alternatively, place squash halves cut-side down on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake at 400°F until tender, 40 to 50 minutes.)
Meanwhile, combine spinach and the remaining 1 tablespoon water in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
Use a fork to scrape the squash from the shells into the bowl. Place the shells on a baking sheet. Stir artichoke hearts, cream cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan, salt and pepper into the squash mixture. Divide it between the squash shells and top with the remaining ¼ cup Parmesan. Broil until the cheese is golden brown, about 3 minutes.
Sprinkle with crushed red pepper and basil, if desired.