Steamed Mussels With Aromatic Vegetables
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup minced sweet onion
- 1/2 cup minced fennel bulb
- 1 large carrot minced
- 1 cup finely-chopped fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf see * Note
- 1 small shallot minced
- 4 cups very fresh mussels scrubbed, cleaned
- 2 1/2 cups dry white vermouth
* Note: Wipe both sides of leaf with a paper towel before using to remove oxidized oils and release fresh essence.
In large kettle or deep saute pan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion, fennel and carrot, and cook until the onion and fennel are translucent. Add the shallot and cook another 30 seconds. Add the parsley, bay leaf and mussels, stir to incorporate the ingredients. Add the wine, stir again. Cover the pan tightly and raise the heat to high. Let the mussels steam for four minutes. Uncover the pan and discard any mussels that haven't opened.
Divide the mussels between four warmed serving bowls and pour some of the poaching liqueur over each, being careful not to use the last liquid at the bottom of the pan, which may contain some sand. Serve with crusty rounds of French or Italian bread for dipping in the sauce.
This recipe yields 4 servings.