Cumin Quinoa Salad
Clean Eating Mag
- 2 cups quinoa
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 medium shallot, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 tsp kosher salt, plus additional for seasoning, divided
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 6 medium scallions, thinly sliced crosswise
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Fresh-ground black pepper, to taste
Rinse quinoa and drain. Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. When it shimmers, add cumin and cook until fragrant. Add shallots, season to taste with additional salt and cook until just soft. Add quinoa and stir frequently until moisture evaporates and it makes a popping noise, about 5 minutes.
Add broth and 2 tsp salt, stir briefly and return to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until quinoa absorbs liquid and grains are tender, about 15 minutes.
Stir in remaining ingredients until well combined, season well with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.