Fried Avocado Tacos With Chipotle Cream, Cabbage, and Pickled Red Onions
- 1 1/2 quarts peanut, vegetable, or canola oil
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 to 1 cup light beer
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted, and cut into 8 to 12 wedges each
- 16 warm corn tortillas
- 1 cup store-bought or homemade salsa verde
- 1/2 head finely shredded green cabbage
- 1/2 cup chipotle cream
- 1/2 cup pickled red onions
- 1 thinly sliced Serrano chile
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 limes, cut into 8 wedges
- Radishes, for serving
Heat oil in a large wok, deep fryer, or Dutch oven to 375°F and adjust heat to maintain temperature.
Whisk together flour, cornstarch, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, and baking powder in a large bowl until homogenous. Add 3/4 cup beer and whisk very rapidly just until a loose batter is formed. Batter should be lumpy and have the texture of thick paint (add more beer if necessary). Do not overmix.
Season avocado wedges generously with salt and pepper, then drop them into the batter and turn to coat. Pick up one wedge at at time, allow excess to drip off, and carefully lower into hot oil. Continue until all wedges have been added and adjust heat as necessary to maintain a temeperature of 350 to 375°F.
Cook, turning avocado wedges occasionally and agitating oil to promote even cooking, until light golden brown and crisp all over, about 3 minutes total. Using tongs or a wire mesh spider, transfer avocado wedges to a paper towel-lined bowl. Season immediately with salt and toss to drain excess oil.
To serve, make 8 stacks of 2 tortillas each. Divide salsa verde and cabbage between tortillas and top with avocados. Drizzle with chipotle cream and top with pickled red onions, Serrano chile, and cilantro. Serve immediately with lime wedges and radish.
You'll also love
- Rigatoni alla Caprese 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Simmered Leeks 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Roasted Artichokes for Two 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Crispy bacon & brie grilled cheese... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Breakfast Grilled Cheese with Ham... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Skillet Turkey Meatballs with... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- One Pot Cabbage Casserole 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Crockpot Pork Tenderloin,... 0/5 (0 Votes)