Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 16 Boston Bibb or butter lettuce leaves
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 teaspoon Asian (dark) sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon Asian chile pepper sauce/paste (optional, if you want some spice)
Adapted from allrecipes.com
Rinse the whole lettuce leaves and pat them dry, being careful not to tear them. Set them aside.
In a large, nonstick skillet greased with cooking spray, cook the chicken in the cooking oil for about 3 minutes. Drain the grease and then add the onion and ginger, cooking for 3-4 minutes. Then, stir in the hoisin sauce, garlic, soy sauce, vinegar, and chile pepper and cook for about 2 minutes.
Finally, add the green onions, sesame oil, and carrots and let everything cook for about a minute. Make sure the chicken is no longer pink at this point (if it is, keeping cooking everything until it's done).
Spoon the mixture into the center of the lettuce leaves.