Yummy Scrummy Carrot cake
- 175 * 175g light muscovado sugar
- 175 * 175ml sunflower oil
- 3 * 3 large eggs , lightly beaten
- 140 * 140g grated carrots (about 3 medium)
- 100 * 100g raisins
- * grated zest of 1 large orange
- 175 * 175g self-raising flour
- 1 * 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 * 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- * ½ tsp grated nutmeg (freshly grated will give you the best flavour)
- FOR THE FROSTING
- 175 * 175g icing sugar
- 1 * 1½-2 tbsp orange juice
Cuts into 15 slices
Preparation and cooking times
Prep 1 hr - 1 hr 15 mins
Including 40-45 minutes in the oven.
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4/fan 160C. Oil and line the base and sides of an 18cm square cake tin with baking parchment. The easiest way to do this is to cut two long strips the width of the tin and put each strip crossways, covering the base and sides of the tin, with a double layer in the base.
2. Tip the sugar into a large mixing bowl, pour in the oil and add the eggs. Lightly mix with a wooden spoon. Stir in the grated carrots, raisins and orange rind.
3. Mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda and spices, then sift into the bowl. Lightly mix all the ingredients - when everything is evenly amalgamated stop mixing. The mixture will be fairly soft and almost runny.
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 40- 45 minutes, until it feels firm and springy when you press it in the centre. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn it out, peel off the paper and cool on a wire rack. (You can freeze the cake at this point.)
5. Beat together the frosting ingredients in a small bowl until smooth - you want the icing about as runny as single cream. Set the cake on a serving plate and boldly drizzle the icing back and forth in diagonal lines over the top, letting it drip down the sides.
You might also like to try Angela Nilsen's lighter option, Ultimate makeover: Carrot cake, or try something new with Carrot & cream cheese cupcakes .
265 kcalories, protein 3g, carbohydrate 39g, fat 12 g, saturated fat 2g, fibre 1g, sugar 24.8g, salt 0.41 g
Recipe from Good Food magazine, May 2002.