Olive Oil Cake
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup good-quality extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup amaretto liqueur, such as Disaronno
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup coarse-ground cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- Powdered sugar, for garnish
1. Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in middle. Coat a 9-inch round cake pan with olive oil and flour; tap out the excess.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and granulated sugar until well blended and light in color. Add milk, olive oil, amaretto, and orange zest and mix well.
3. In another bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add egg mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring until just blended (the batter will be slightly lumpy; do not overmix).
4. Pour batter into the prepared baking dish or pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out with only a few crumbs, about 40 to 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
When the cake has cooled, run a knife around the perimeter of the pan and invert the cake onto a serving plate. Dust with powdered sugar, cut into 12 pieces, and serve.