Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 stick (4 ounces or 1/2 cup) of butter
- 2 pounds button mushrooms, rinsed and sliced
- 3 onions, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 bottle Shiraz or other hearty red wine
- 4 cups rich chicken broth
- 1 cup 35% heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon or more of chopped fresh thyme
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/2 cup water
- Salt and pepper
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
1.Place a large saucepot over medium high heat. Add the butter, mushrooms and onions. Sauté until lightly browned. The mushrooms will initially release a lot of moisture, which will eventually evaporate allowing them to brown. Season with salt and pepper.
2.Add the Shiraz and bring to a simmer, reducing it by half. Add the chicken broth and cream, stir well and bring to a simmer. Add the thyme and continue cooking for a few minutes. Meanwhile stir the cornstarch into a ¼-cup of water. Add the mixture slowly to the simmering soup, stirring until it returns to the simmer and thickens slightly. If you prefer your soup a bit thicker feel free to add more cornstarch.
Taste and add salt and pepper as desired.