Layered Vegetable Torte
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 4 medium zucchini or yellow squash, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 portobello mushrooms, cut into
- 1/4 -inch slices
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, or more as needed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 plum tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs, preferably fresh.
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Put a grill pan over medium-high heat, or prepare a grill; the heat should be medium-high, and the rack about 4 inches from flame. Brush eggplant, zucchini and mushrooms lightly with half the oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper; if roasting, grease 2 baking sheets with oil. Roast or grill vegetables on both sides until soft.
2. Coat bottom and sides of 8-inch springform pan with oil. Layer a third of the eggplant slices into bottom of the pan, then layer in half the zucchini, mushrooms, tomato, garlic and basil, sprinkling each layer with a bit of salt and pepper. Repeat layers until all vegetable are used. Press the top with a spatula or spoon to make the torte as compact as possible. Sprinkle top with Parmesan and bread crumbs, and drizzle with about 1 tablespoon oil.
3. Bake torte in oven until hot throughout and browned on top, about 30 minutes. Let sit for 5 minutes before removing outer ring of pan, then let cool for another 10 minutes before cutting into wedges.