SuperFoodsRx Blueberry Muffin with Walnuts
This muffin is a portable meal in itself. It's packed full of hearty SuperFoods such as oatmeal, walnuts and blueberries with an added punch from the whole-grain flour and dried fruits. The recipe is from "The SuperFoodsRx Diet."
Nutrition information per muffin: 140 calories, 4 grams fat, 18 milligrams cholesterol, 4.5 grams protein, 22 grams carbohydrates, 3 grams dietary fiber, 122 milligrams sodium
- • Vegetable cooking spray
- • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- • 1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- • 2 egg whites from large eggs
- • 1 large egg
- • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- • 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- • 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- • 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- • 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- • 1 tablespoon baking powder
- • 1 teaspoon baking soda
- • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- • 1/4 cup dried fruit such as blueberries or cherries
- • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- • 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (if frozen, do not thaw)
Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Lightly coat a muffin pan with cooking spray, or place muffin liners/papers in the pan and set aside.
Mix the applesauce, yogurt, egg whites, egg, vanilla and maple syrup together in a large bowl until smooth.
Mix the whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, dried fruit and walnuts together. Add the blueberries so that they are coated with dry ingredients. (This will keep the blueberries evenly distributed through the batter.)
Add the dry mixture to the wet ingredients and mix gently, just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Divide the batter among 12 regular muffin cups. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the tops are dry and golden. Turn the muffins onto a wire rack to cool.
Makes 12 muffins.
You'll also love
- Salmon with Chipotle Cream Sauce 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Momofuku Roasted Cauliflower 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Kelly's Cream-Corn Bread Casserole 3.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Sourdough Pineapple Muffins 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Chicken Paupiettes with... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Raspberry Marsala Trifle 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Congealed Cranberry Salad 0/5 (0 Votes)