Crusty Cauliflower and Ricotta Casserole
From Quick Vegetarian Pleasures
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 Cup finely diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 medium (2 1/2 lb), cut into small flowerets (about 6 cups)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- black pepper
- 1 cup muenster cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 55mins
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook garlic for 30 seconds, DO NOT BROWN. Add in tomatoes and cook another 5 minutes, stirring often. Stir in cauliflower and toss to coat with the tomato mixture. Pour in several tbsp of water and cover pan. Cook for 7 minutes, or until cauliflower is tender. Take pan off heat and let cool to room temperature or warm.
2. Preheat oven to 375. Butter a 12 x 7 x 2 inch ovenproof dish, or other shallow 2 1/2 Qt baking dish.
3. Beat eggs in a large bowl, Beat in ricotta cheese, milk, Parmesan, parsley, nutmeg, cayenne, pepper, and muenster. Stir in cauliflower mixture. Spread into casserole dish and top with bread crumbs
4. Bake 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly.Do not overcook, or the casserole will dry out.